We regret MannaMilk is no longer able to supply raw milk. Following the raids on NZ farms in December 2019, 8 farms are being prosecuted for selling milk outside the regulations.
MannaMilk Limited Partnership was a form of herdshare. It enabled you to access your own milk in return for a payment to us for looking after the cows and bottling and delivering your milk. You are no longer able to join the Partnership MannaMilk . There was no charge to join the Partnership.
Milk from MannaMilk cows is unpasteurized, unhomogenized and full cream (no cream is skimmed) from a herd of mainly Jersey and Kiwicross cows grazing pasture outside all year. The farm is not certified organic but is not run on a high-input, high-imported supplementary feed system. Our aim is sustainable management. Particular attention is paid to animal health and milk quality. Milk lasts longer kept at the back of the fridge in the coldest part and not in the door. Surplus milk is contracted to Fonterra. Testing for A2A2 (August 2013) of 10 heifers showed 10 out of the 10 tested were A2 cows. See “Devil in the Milk” for further information about A1/A2, by Keith Woodford.
- The proteins in the milk are not changed by heating.
- You get the full complement of cream (our milk varies between 4.5% to over 6%). This essential fat helps build strong cell membranes, and contains all the anti-oxidant fat-soluble vitamins. Even if you buy full-cream pasteurised milk (blue top), you only get 3.3% fat. The advantages of eating good fats such as butter are increasingly recognised [see Dr Joseph Mercola’s “Fat For Fuel”, “Eat Fat; Lose Fat” by Dr Mary Enig; “The Big Fat Secret” by John McKenna; “What the Fat? > Fat’s IN, Sugar’s OUT>” by Prof Grant Schofield, Dr Caryn Zinn, Craig Rodger].
- The fats in raw milk are not homogenised
- Raw milk has water-soluble vitamins B and C, Vitamin D for calcium and phosphorus absorption, and Vitamin K2.
The Wulzen Factor prevents calcification of the joints (degenerative arthritis), arterial hardening, cataracts and pineal gland calcification. The Wulzen Factor is only present in raw milk. http://www.seleneriverpress.org/wulzen-factor
We believe the traditional principles of good nutrition espoused by the Weston Price Foundation are sound, (although improperly prepared grains definitely pose problems for many people). The WAPF challenges current dietary views/myths about good eating and provides information as to why obesity, diabetes, heart disease and other health issues have massively increased
Raw milk was considered greatly healing by such bodies as the Mayo Clinic in the 1920s.
Many people who cannot tolerate pasteurized milk do well on raw milk which still has the enzymes to help digest it. Also, lacto-fermented forms of food including yoghurt, clabbered milk and kefir are among essential daily foods in our diet. We can provide these cultures – these foods are very easy to make.
NEW MANDATORY GOVERNMENT WARNING: “RAW MILK MAY CONTAIN HARMFUL MICROORGANISMS THAT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS. TO REDUCE THE RISL OF ILLNESS, RAW MILK SHOULD BE HEATED TO AT LEAST 70 DEG C FOR ONE MINUTE. THIS IS CRTIICAL FOR INFANTS, YOUNG CHILDREN, THE ELDERLY, PREGNANT WOMEN, AND PEOPLE WITH WEAKENED IMMUNE SYSTEMS.”
Our milk comes from our family farm harvesting milk since 1917, and it has never had a case of TB or Brucellosis. Independent testing by Eurofins (eg for Salmonella, Staphylococci, E-coli, Listeria and Campylobacter) is routinely done.
Note that Europeans have been making raw milk soft cheeses for years and their permissible somatic cell count is 750,000 – in NZ the penalty level is 400,000 and our level – though daily variable – is regularly below 100,000. (Results available.)
We drink the milk ourselves, as do our children and grandchildren, and grandparents did since the farm came into the family.
- The farm is essentially run on a grass-based system, is not highly stocked, and imported supplementary feed is kept to a minimum. All studies of milk quality agree on the undoubted beneficial difference in milk composition of cows grazing grass outside in the sun.
- The herd is a mixture of Jersey and Kiwicross cows and for four years has used only A2A2 bulls sourced through Livestock Improvement Corporation (L.I.C) artificial breeding service to generate herd replacements.
- The farm consistently supplies finest grade milk as tested by Fonterra to NZ standards.
Cow udders are washed, dried and teat sprayed before milking.
NOTE: Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH) – an injection which is used in America to increase per cow milk production is banned from use in N Z.
- We do not induce calves.
Milk was delivered to different drop-offs on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to Kapiti Coast, the Hutt and Wellington . It was available on Monday night in Levin. Deliveries were subject to seasonal and holiday variations but you would be notified by email of changes.
Milk ass supplied in 1 and 2 litre plastic containers or in 10 or 20 L buckets. We suggested you tip it into your own glass jars or into jugs.
1 litre plastic bottle $3.20
2 litre plastic bottle $6.00
You were also welcome to come to the farm to get your milk. 2L bottles were in a fridge half way up the tanker driveway at 50 Martins Rd. You must still be a MannaMilk Ltd Partner to pick up milk from Kohutu Farm.
Notwithstanding any of the above it cannot be over-emphasized that the milk we supply is a raw and living product which does require careful handling, transport, storage, and good refrigeration.
John Martin, Milkman MannaMilk
48 Martins Rd, RD31, Manakau, Horowhenua 5573
06 362 6826
Our customers say:
“I enjoy the milk and like that it is unprocessed and alive.”
“Love the Mannamilk we are getting – always fresh and creamy, and makes fantastic cultured milk. The kids are having great milk smoothies in the morning for breakfast, and often requesting more later in the day.
“Remember how milk used to taste when your were a kid? You can have that again!”
“Delicious, Creamy and Healthy. I am bringing my kids up on the most original of drinks. Best regards and good luck…”
“This creamy milk gives me the milk moustache that I remember from my childhood.”
Our milk quality :